Hey, I Recognize That Lady

Posted by Unknown On Tuesday, August 03, 2010
So the PC emphasizes the importance of stress relief. Some use yoga, and I highly approve of this technique. Exercise fanatic that I am (NOT!), I don't have the challenge of where to jog . . . because we can't jog here. Not alone, ever. It just makes sense. A buddy system is always for the best. Happily, this is a non-issue for me.
 
So you've all read my Packing List by now. And I concede, it's a bit over-the-top. Overambitious. Ludicrous, some might say. But who's already come to me begging to buy or borrow items? Huh? Riddle me that? Surely not my fellow stagieres? And not the PCVFs, right? Or am I kidding?
 
So, in fact, what should not have come all the way from Dallas? The flameless candles? Indeed, arguably they could have stayed on Burnwood. Not that the concept wasn't valid; but the wax has melted during multiple transports, and their shape is now random. Not in the least candle-like. OK, one mistake in judgment, compounded by multiple rides inside luggage atop a bus in 100-degree heat. But one mistakes doesn't not a poor packer make. What I'm thrilled about having with me? The mortar and pestle, the French press, all the seeds, the good knives.
 
And then there's the flat-iron.
 
Now most of us know that I'm the sedentary mouse (reference to HBO's Alzheimer's documentary). And, sedentary mouse that I am, my new method for stress management is flat-ironing my hair. Yes, now come on – you knew very well that the flat iron was coming. In fact, it's the world's smallest, dual-voltage, traveling flat iron. And breaking it out has been long overdue. Just ask the 80-plus folks who've had to look at my scarey hair for the past month. Even when my hair is up in a scarf, I look like Jacques-Louis David's Death of Marat. Equally chilling. So, new tradition: 30-minutes nightly, apres shower, with my old pal, the flat iron. What was once a three-minute activity now takes-up 30 minutes of valuable study time. It's because the device is about the size of a nail file. Still, it's therapeutic, right? And there's no need to frighten my host nationals unduly, right? How long will this therapy last? At least while were back in yet another hotel (security reasons again). But after we leave the capital, will my solar charger handle the flat-iron? We can only speculate.

0 Response to "Hey, I Recognize That Lady"