Two Hundred-Sixty Million Little Hands

Posted by Unknown On Tuesday, August 03, 2010
Did you know that there are over 130 million malnourished children in the world. It's true. And over 53% of child mortality (age of five and under) is due to malnutrition. Now come on folks, if that doesn't shake-up your brain, it should. Combine that figure with families affected by malaria, HIV/AIDS/ARMS, and with something as simple as diarrhea (which ain't all that simple, believe me), and we've got some serious issues facing the planet. In other words, improve even one of the aforementioned conditions, and wait for the trickle-up effects and improvement in just a few of these maladies. There are no simple answers. Don't send your dollars to some well-meaning charity. Well, by all means, send money. But solutions to these issues are not as simple as money – not by a long shot.
 
Now before you run for your box of tissues (which, in fact, I hope you'll do later), let's look on the bright side. All children love to laugh, clap, and sing. And thus, I've learned a new children's song, in French, for 260 million-plus little hands. A song that I sing to children, regardless of health status, which seems to bring-on a smile every single time.
Incidentally, to answer your questions, yes, it's getting more and more difficult to type solely in English. Lots of spell-check action, and lots of delete-key action. But for now, excuse the French spelling errors. Ready with your hand gestures? Ready to sing?
 
Tappez, tappez petites mains;
Tournez, tournez petit moulin.
Nagez, nagez petits poissons;
Volez, volez, volez jolie pappion.
 
There is some debate regarding the hand gestures representing the nagez-ing of the fish in this land of dams where there is no ocean, though the debate is totally one-sided (mine).
In fewer than 72 hours, I've taught this song to anyone who will listen. To any group who will stand still. Kids love it. Those of you who know me best can well imagine. However, did I see some other PCTs fleeing as I approached with my nagez-ing hands? We can only speculate?

0 Response to "Two Hundred-Sixty Million Little Hands"