S-T-Y-L-E . . . In Any Language

Posted by Unknown On Saturday, September 04, 2010
So when you think of Kathy Davis you think fashion icon, right? Obviously not. But today I really topped myself. I wore a skirt inside-out. True. It’s a new wrap skirt (horrible light green colors) made from pagne fabric. Wrap skirt . . . get it? So there are no seams. Or are there? Ah ha! I spy a hem and a piece sewn into the ruffle near the hem. Seams! Should have been my first clue. I wore said inside-out skirt while biking all over Po. Po Kathy in that Po inside-out pagne wrap. I stopped at two bus stations trying to locate my mobile, just in case some PC elf sent it via bus. I wore it to the poste, to the internet-key store, and finally to a grocer for a Sprite. No, the fact that the skirt was inside out didn’t escape my attention. But let’s remember, I’m not living in a land where one can run into a bathroom in any office and reverse the skirt. Bathrooms are virtually non-existent, and even latrines are often hard to find . . . and if you find one you’ll wish you hadn’t. Hey, at least my hair looked good.

Speaking of hair. Last week I blew-out an international surge protector with my flat iron. It made a very loud pop and filled the room with that dreaded electrical smell. The good news is that the flat iron survived. I was a tad angry until reminded that the surge protector did exactly what it was intended to do. It saved the flat iron. I think we all know which I would have rather saved. Someone should call Magellan’s and tell them that their very expensive international made-especially-for-valuable-laptops white surge protector with the French plugs works beautifully. Wish they’d send me a new one for all that money I’ve given them over the years. Here’s the odd thing: the flat iron is dual voltage. I didn’t really need the surge protector, or did I? Did I use the word ruffle in this post? Me, in ruffles? So is it all lighthearted fun and games such as described in this post? Hardly. Do I really continue to have good hair days? When will I tell you the truth about my first week at site? We can only speculate.

2 Response to "S-T-Y-L-E . . . In Any Language"

  1. old Said,

    Hi Ms. Davis! My name is Jon and I am a student at CU Boulder. I am currently in a Reporting 2 class and I am writing a story about what future peace corps volunteers can expect to see if they leave for a West African country. The story has to have a science or environmental theme to it.

    After reading your blog, it's obvious that some of the stuff you write about has a lot to do with my story and I was hoping you could answer some of the following questions if you have the time: What vaccines did you have to get before and while volunteering? What diseases and/or general illnesses are common in your country? Have you been sick at all? What different creatures, animals, insects, etc. do you encounter (or not want to encounter) during your volunteering? Also, if there is anything else you could share about the environment you live in, that would be great. For instance, is it stifling hot? Or too rainy?

    Thank you so much and I (as a hopeful future peace corps volunteer) look forward to reading more of your blog.

    p.s. this story won't be printed, it is just for my class

     

  2. Unknown Said,

    Jon, delighted to help. Please get your eMail address to me. KathyDavisi@att.net