Tissue is precious in the country. It’s sold by boys on the street, in bus stations, in the al fresco restaurants . . . OK, food stands/kiosks, not really restaurants . . . and just about everywhere else. It’s sold in the convenient tiny packages that we American’s know as travel-size facial tissue. I don’t think the Burkinabe use it as facial tissue. We Americans know it as Kleenex; here’s it’s called Lotus (pronounced loe-tuse).
I have a cold. A real-live cold with a terrible sore throat and a sniffly nose. Who get’s a cold in this warm climate? Is it cold season? What’s up with that? I don’t feel bad, but in any event, I’m going through my precious Lotus like it’s . . . well, like it’s Kleenex. This is not good. This means that for every Lotus tissue I sneeze into, it’s one less trip to the latrine. Can they be dried and reused as I formerly did with paper towels in the U.S.? Yes, this U.S. gal who’d spend $50 on a bar of soap would reuse a paper towel . . . I’ll clarify: a paper towel that had merely been used to dab up a few drops of clean water by the sink.
So I see that the end is near, and tissue is gonna be a hot commodity by this evening. Time to make the downhill run to town to the alimentation. Gonna make the big expenditure and buy the four-pack of genuine papier de toilet. Yes, it is actually sold here, somewhere. Then it begins to rain.
When it rains here, at least in Po, it’s like a hurricane. Winds in excess of 40 mph, torrential downpours, things blow all over the courtyard (things such as chickens and clothing and cookware). Chickens . . . really. It’s like a tropical storm force gale, at the least; and sometimes it can last for hours. So much for my tissue run.
I’m utterly and totally bored. I realize that the PC job is 24/7. I’ve done 24/7 jobs before . . . no big deal; but this time I need a day off. A me day when I don’t have to speak French or Kassim, when I don’t have to smile and meet and greet, and when I can simply wallow in self-pity for feeling so worthless. Po Kathy.
I received calls this morning from three special friends in my stage, each of whom (without prompting) stated that they, too, felt useless, bored, anxious to get to work. So I know that I’m far from alone. This helps. It’s the three-month lock-down and acclimate-to-village-life theory. We understand. Intellectually one understands the importance of becoming well integrated into the community. But as a practical matter, on some days it’s boring. Come on now, how many hours a day can one meet-and-greet? No, we don’t question PC methods. I’m drinkin’ the Kool-Aid and have bought into all of it. Still, I’m bored. I’m bored, and it’s pouring rain under black-as-night clouds, and I’m sniffly and I need tissue.
And I need Zain. Zain is the equivalent of T-Mobile or Verizon. It’s a little scratch-off card with a code that is revealed for additional pay-as-you-go mobile time. We PCVs are on a plan whereby we have unlimited talk time between PC HQ and other PCVs, but this doesn’t include texts. Why would Kathy Davis care about texts? Because I’ve finally become a fan. Hey, I said that I was drinking the Kool-Aid. This isn’t a generational-thing. I have friends far older than I who love to text . . . who embrace their Blackberries and iPhones and text. I was a staunch anti-text counter-revolutionary, but no more. Becky, you’d be so proud. I can text with my eyes closed. However, it’s not something of which I’m proud.
So I’m bored and I don’t know what to do. Already did my nails. Removed the whore-red polish from my fingers and toes and gave myself a pedicure. I’m anxious to decorate my home . . . either hang pagne fabric on the walls and/or paint some walls. Just can’t decide what and where to paint. And I’m not a person known for her indecision. Sometimes I think I’m wishy-washy, and other times I’m just not so sure. Maybe I should paint little symbols around the grey “painted-on” baseboard that surrounds my home. That’s probably 200 interior linear feet just beggin’ for little symbols. That should keep me occupied for a while. But what if I made an error and needed a tissue to make a correction?!
Why would some Burkinabe paint-on something intended to look like a baseboard? This baffles me. Why can’t I decide what symbols to paint on the painted-on baseboards? Should I paint words on my kitchen walls? French cooking words? French verb conjugations? Do I sound a smidge whiny? How does one say, in French, Kathy, get over it! ? We can only speculate.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



When I was in DRC, one of the things that broke my heart the most was the boys running through the traffic selling tissues. Ahhh, the things we take for granted. Hope your cold gets better!
P.S. I am a friend of Sally Fay's. She sent me here long ago and I love reading about your adventures!