So just when I thought that life can not get any better (yesterday was one of the good days), my new Kassim instructor arrived; and I’m actually learning to converse in Kassim. And since the lessons are all in French, I do believe that my French is improving. Today at the Club de Commerce, I discovered just how many students speak Kassim. They laughed at me and with me; they corrected my pronunciation; they taught me new words. And as we sat selling soap, I discovered that I was actually conversing in Kassim. Yes, there we lots of: Ahm booney (meaning I don’t understand). But we also shared some very short stories. Incredible. But enough about me. Take a look at the Club.
This is the face of Burkina Faso. Two of my favorite girls, both motivated and intelligent. Gladis, on the right, could begin her own soap-making business. She understands that much about soap. But I've got better dreams for her, and I believe that she does, too. Look at those gorgeous eyes. What genuine smiles. Their motivation is infectious.
These, too, are the faces of Burkina. Young men and women willing to tolerate my French, teach me Kassim pronounciation, and plan a lovely party when the club year closes in early May. They're going crazy wanting to bake something with chocolate. Everyone loves chocolate, they say in French and then in Kassim. True enough.These are but a few of the students in my Club de Commerce. Beautiful, right? And they are as smart as they are kind and beautiful. Yesterday the Club de Jardinage actually taught the students in the Club de Journalisme how to make soap. In other words, I’ve worked myself out of a job, just as the PC wants. These young women can now teach soap-making . . . and not just how to make it, but also why it’s important to wash your hands often, using soap every single time. Two hundred CFA . . . about 40 cents. That’s the price of our smaller bottles. But wait, there’s more. Each bottle contains a prize (thanks, Stacey!). See the toys floating in the bottles? Unsolicited, one non-club-member commented that our soap was cleaner, clearer, and lower priced than the soap at the marche. Well of course it is. It’s made with love.
Now lest you think that these kids can only make soap, take a look at the garden. The Club also sells vegetable and fruit from the garden. Our cabbages are just about ready. As for the variety of lettuce? Well, see some rather bare spots? Really? What do you suppose caused that? Hens? Goats? Even a pig? We can only speculate.






0 Response to "The Toughest Job You'll Ever Love"