Our Cast of Characters

Posted by Unknown On Wednesday, January 18, 2012
Nine days back in Pô and only two days when the Internet worked, today being one of them. What does one do with no access to the web. One word: movies! 

I love Gone With The Wind. It's so pretty . . . amputation notwithstanding. I especially love how the grand production begins, after the lengthy overture, with the cast of characters. Little things, like the notation that 12 Oaks is The nearby Wilkes plantation. The characters list includes Scarlett's beaux . . . and the ever so slight hint at his significance in our story, separate and apart from all others, Rhett Butler, A visitor from Charleston.

OK, I’ve received eMail regarding who’s who in Pô. So here you go. The players in our story:

At GaMoWigna:
  • Yaya, age 48-49, my homologue (or counterpart) who is the animateur of my association, GaMoWigna. Almost 18 months in country and I’m still not certain what an animateur does. I think it has something to do with putting together educational programs. It may be a French word, but I suspect that its context here in The B.F. is somehow different. However, what do I know?
  • Satia, Yaya’s wife and mother of his four children, including the youngest, Kemsa, who is almost 12 months old. Kemsa is really cute, and really tiny. Scary tiny. I’m on a mission to get this child to eat more.
At Chez Copia:
  • Leon, in whose courtyard I live, President of GaMoWigna. Leon maintains an office at the Mayor’s office and rarely comes to GaMoWigna, though he’s always present for important meetings and seminars. I don’t think he works for the mayor; rather, I believe he merely has an office there. Leon travels frequently. He's also president of the APE (French equivalent of the high school PTA, bordering on superintendent of schools).
  • Elizabeth, Leon’s wife, who runs the Caisse Populaire bank in Pô. Doesn’t merely work there . . . she runs the place . . . an outstanding achievement for a woman in Burkina.
  • Martin, age 13, son of Leon and Elizabeth, my best friend.
  • Louis, age 14, Martin’s cousin, who lives with Martin during the school year. Louis is from Ouaga; he's the son of Leon's sister Justine.
  • Tantie, the aged, gray-haired woman who is somehow related to Elizabeth or Leon. She rarely wears a blouse and appears to have nursed many children in her day. ‘Nough said. 
Neighbors in the Courtyard
Nearby Chez Copia:
  • Sada, one of my favorite women in Burkina, who runs the pump at the bottom of our hill and helps me wash my floors. Together, we're a mean cleaning machine. 
  • Sophie, 8 years old, daughter of Sada. She’s a cousin of Martin, so Sada must be the sister of Leon.
  • Victorine, about 2 years old, cutest child in Burkina, Sada’s youngest daughter.
  • Nestor, brother of Victorine and Sophie, age 14.
  • Sylvain, brother of Nestor, Victorine & Sophie, age 16, about to graduate (so he's brilliant), and still loves all my craft activities with the younger children. This young man is going places, and I can't wait to see his bright future.
  • Gilbert, husband of Sada. He’s rarely around . . . though there is a funny story involving a chicken and his tipsy arrival in the courtyard late one night.
In Ouagadougou:
  • Damien (pronounced Dahmee-ahn), eldest son of Leon & Elizabeth, who attends university. When Damien comes home, it is truly the return of the prodigal son. The village all arrives to greet him. Smart young man, like every Copia.
I never get any comments. Is there anyone out there? I get eMail, but no comments. Was it something that I said? We can only speculate.

b

0 Response to "Our Cast of Characters"