Peace Corps History

Posted by Unknown On Sunday, May 23, 2010
Self-doubt sets in, which is absolutely natural, I realize. The language! What about PCTs who are already learning the local language(s)? And no, I don’t mean practicing their French. What if I absolutely can’t learn the language? And I don’t even know what language that might be. I have brief (about two-seconds), very occasional (but increasing in frequency) concerns. Not true moments of panic – not yet, anyway. And, happily, I do know one thing for certain: I’ll set no records in Peace Corps history for most incompetent (though I might rank right there with the runners-up). When it comes to learning the language, will I be the most dense in my group? Possibly, but I won’t be the worst ever. How am I going to learn the language? Take a tape recorder? No, that’s probably not realistic. How about video with sound? Cumbersome, at best. A small notebook and pencil tied around my neck? We can only speculate.

1 Response to "Peace Corps History"

  1. Dan Schulman Said,

    Stop freaking out. It's a healthy concern but you will do fine. They realize that unique dialects will be difficult. I promise you you will be okay.