And Speaking of Packing

Posted by Unknown On Sunday, June 06, 2010
For years I've maintained what my friends dubbed Kathy's Girl's Gotta Flee box. It's stocked with the absolute bare minimum needed to flee the country at a moment's notice . . . just enough items for a week or so abroad. Certainly not sufficient for 27 months.

And so there was more "supply" shopping early last week. It’s just money: you can get more at the bank. Right? At the same time, I made a giant leap of faith . . . as I pared down the "girl's gotta flee" supplies and the packing list. Where is that fine line? The one between the essentials needed to flee, versus items to ensure that this girl hasn't got fleas!? Really, folks, what's truly an essential? Well for me, there will be no Bug Hut™, no hammock, no bejeweled mosquito netting. I’m not going camping. Still, as a lover of gadgets, it’s all so tempting. Also no food items, not even drink mixes.

I read the blog of a genuine PCV who said to pack a comfortable bicycle seat. That’s no joke. A comfortable bike seat. I think it was a Swaziland PCV, but I stand to be corrected. Thus, let the packing begin – or at least the staging. In go the essentials: laptop, chargers, cameras, etc. Then the few clothes. Lift, walk around neighborhood, draw stares, add more items, repeat. Unlike other PCTs who have photographed what’s going, I’m eventually going to photograph what’s staying. Maybe I'll document the entire process. Even standing at a distance, I suspect I’ll need the fisheye lens to frame all that is staying. I’m already laughing at how much stuff will be forced to remain at home. Happily, dear friends offered a great suggestion: “Let us mail you care packages with the items that must remain at home. Think of how happy you’ll be when you’re reunited with the items left behind.” Brilliant! Will the flat iron stay or go? I’ll never tell. And you can only speculate.

1 Response to "And Speaking of Packing"

  1. Betty Said,

    lol. leave the flat iron. you'll be liberated from it for 27 months & you may find that didn't need it to begin with....a PC epiphany.